Old 01-10-08, 09:12 AM
bigwoo

Bikes: March [B]'71 Schwinn Sports Tourer [/B] [B]

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I agree with GCRyder!

It does look like one of the triple butted decals and the Japanese Uni's are sweet! They ride beautifully! I'm sorry, but it sounds like somebody sold you on spending a lot of $$ that you just don't need to spend; if it was a bike shop, go to a different shop.
There is no reason to change out the fork (unless you know it's damaged/bent??) Why in the world would you want to ditch an original fork?

The Maxima Sport was in the middle.... Do you have a Suntour group on it now?
I would definitely remove the suicide brake levers (just unscrew them and pull them off, along with the washers and little springs in the tube shaft)
**check the tires to see if they are good for another season
**re-tape the handle bars with some nice/comfy bar tape in the color of your choice (I like Cinelli cork-Italy)
** And if you wanted you could certainly move the shifters to the downtube (or have it done at your local bike shop for a very fair price if you don't want to make the necessary cable adjustments) and these simple things will give the bike a much nicer look.
** If you do have some $$ burning a hole in your pocket, you could invest in a sweet Brooks leather saddle for the bike

Univega's have always been underated and I've never come across a "bad" triple butted so trust me, try these simple steps first before going all out on this bike. Take this bike on a good ride with some good scenery and open it up. Let it rip around the corners and get a feel for that sweet Japanese steel! You may be very happy (and pleasantly surprised) with the bike after making these simple adjustments. The old Suntour groups can be very smooth and you'll be able to say that "I've got an original Univega" (which is cool).

After you've taken it out for a comprehensive ride, add your thoughts,comments and MOST IMPORTANTLY PHOTOS to the "Unofficial Univega Appreciation Thread" found here: http://bikeforums.net/showthread.php...ght=unofficial

Last edited by bigwoo; 01-10-08 at 09:33 AM.