View Single Post
Old 01-10-08, 10:50 AM
PolishGuy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I agree with bigwoo and GCRyder....follow their recommendations and you can't go wrong with an old Univega. When I refurbished and '80's Super Strada I decided to keep the bike as original as possible. I replaced the usual stuff: cables and housings, bar tape, re-packed the BB bearings, new chain and an overall lube and clean-up. I bought the pedal adapters from Loose Screws so I could use my LOOK 386 pedals with the Shimano Dura-Ace crankset, the entire drivetrain is Dura-Ace, mounted my Terry Liberrator saddle that I took off of my 2002 TREK 1000 which I sold last year and added a set of Araya 700c wheels with Vrederstein tires bought on sale from Nashbar. The 27" Araya wheels with 1 1/8" tires that came with the bike make for a very tight fit especially in the rear where I have to deflate the tire a little and remove the right side skewer nut just to get it in position. The tire clearance beneath the brake calipers is OK with the 27" X 1 1/8" but seems to be much better with the 700c's. If anyone knows for sure, I'd appreciate the input. All total, I think I've spent $100.00 on the bike. Considering I got it for free, it's a worthwhile investment. Good luck and have fun. PG.