Old 01-11-08, 01:12 PM
humancongereel
live free or die trying

Bikes: bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tradtimbo
I usually don't give a s**t what other people do, but I've seen this a few times now, and I'm just interested in hearing other people opinions about whats going on. I've been riding all types of bikes around Boston/Cambridge for quite a few years, and every now then I'll see something like this. for example: its a bit damp out, about 8pm and a very skilled messenger type rider passes me. He has no lights, no brakes except his fixed gear, no helmet and is weaving through traffic. I saw something similar yesterday, but another rider. I always see the no brakes/no helmet thing and even though I personally don't think its a great idea, I let others make their own decisions and find no reason to give anyone a hard time.

whats going on? is it messenger style? a culture? simplicity? badassness? laziness? do they do it for the adrenaline rush?? apathy? I'm not here to judge, just genuine curiousity. I'm not really looking for a debate about what "should" be worn riding at night in the city, I'm curious about the attitudes/thoughts/ideas that are out there.

I know what it feels like to get smashed by a car while on a bike and small, reasonable measures to decrease that happening again are so obviously worth it to me. Especially since I ride everyday.
apathy. i used to that (plus drunk) all the time. just didn't care. like "i've been fine the other eleventy bazillion times". silly, but i think that's it.