Old 01-13-08, 11:39 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I have been car free in the past and have commuted full time by bike up until about 5 years ago... while I use the VC method for cycling, I also appreciate having cycling facilities available... for instance, my route consists of 45 and 50MPH roads and a short stretch on a major freeway. On my route there are steep areas where I typically ride at about 8MPH... obviously much slower than the prevailing traffic. Without bike lanes, the commute would be considerably more "intense" than it is now. I base this on an alternate partial route where bike lanes do not cover the entire route and what I endure from motorists in those areas.

I have also long distance toured in several places across the US and outside the country... obviously BL or other facilities do not exist everywhere. I could not have done these tours without using the VC method, however I will say that the mood of motorists or the treatment received by me from motorists varies considerably... and in places where the bicycle is readily accepted as transportation, the experience is quite uplifting.

So while Vehicular Cycling does work, it has limitations, in particular with regard to traffic speed differential, and facilities can make those limitations less of a struggle to deal with.

As for the strict proponents of the Vehicular Method, I believe their lack of acknowledgment for the limitations of VC and their almost militant denial of facilities is narrow sighted... based on my experiences of well over 30+ years of regular cycling as a commuter, a tourist, and a traveler.

So while I do identify as VC and use the Vehicular Method to cope with traffic when and where needed, I also feel that the overall cycling environment can be vastly improved with the inclusion of well designed and implemented facilities and a political environment that supports cycling as part of the overall transportation picture.