fc_
phredite

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Soma Groove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chasing Rabbits...

With the temp today in the upper 40s, and some spare time for a quick training ride, I took the opportunity to do my "flat time trial" route (I'm trying to get my avg. speed back up). The entire route is 16.5 miles, starting off on side streets with lots of stop signs, lights, etc. for the first (and last, its an out and back route) 3 3/4 miles, until I hit the "stretch".

I was cruising that stretch (about 5 miles or so each way) pulling a good 16-20 mph during the ride out, turned around for the ride back, taking a bit of a break, and noticed another cyclist pulling a u-turn and heading out the same direction. It didn't take long before he passed without saying a word.

Now, I have to tell you, having people pass without an "on your left", or a hello, or anything, is something that really irks me. Its a courtesy that should be extended to all cyclists, no matter what </rant>.

I let the other cyclist go for a bit, then put the hammer down. Didn't take long for me to catch up, and overtake him, saying "good morning" as I slipped by after waiting for traffic to clear so it was safe to do so (the road has wide enough shoulders coming back, that I didn't draft a bit, I was a few feet off to one side).

Looked back a few times, saw him loosing ground, and either he turned off, or just gave up.

Some days its good to be a clyde! Finished the ride with over a 15 mph avg speed (those stops on the side streets really kill my avg speed)

Anyway, that was my ride today, hope yours were great as well.