Old 01-14-08, 07:23 PM
jschen
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For what it's worth, in riding up Lake Wohlford on the Pie Ride on three separate occasions, I have never had issues with cars on Lake Wohlford Rd. I know the road is narrow and the traffic is heavy, but short of ending the ride in Escondido and shuttling people back to the start by car, I don't see a better alternative.

Except perhaps one, but the details for this have never been worked out. It has has been suggested that an Escondido start would allow us to hit Lake Wohlford early, when traffic is light. There are some drawbacks to this, though. We hit Palomar later, so we have to contend with more traffic on Palomar. Figure one hour later if the start is right at the base of Lake Wohlford, so that's not too bad, but if the start gets pushed further and further away from the base of Lake Wohlford, then we've just traded one problem for another. It also eliminates the advantages of a Harrahs start, namely not needing to carry a jacket around just for the first cold descent and ease of returning to the start for anyone choosing to bail out at any point in the first half. Without SAG, our water situation also gets screwy since slower riders end up with about three hours (if not a bit more) of riding to do on their water supply. (Or would we stop at the general store beside the taco shop at the bottom of Palomar? Do they open that early?) That's a heavy price to pay for moving the start to Escondido.