Old 01-15-08, 02:25 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I didn't know what an Electra was so I did some Googling. For much less money than that you could get a Fuji Absolute, A KHS Tademania or a Raleigh Coupe or Companion. These are FAR better bikes than the Electra and far less expensive. FWIW.
You may be right, but then again you may be way off the reservation.... Did you happen to look up a Trek 7100 while you were out there Googling?

Here's my only point: People buy and ride different types of bikes for different reasons, which is why there are so many different types and styles of bikes... just as there are with cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, planes, and you name it. Variety IS the spice of life. Viva le difference!! Therefore, it's quite possible that our new friend purchased the Electra knowing full well what it was (kinda hard to confuse a fat-tire cruiser tandem for anything else) and of it's performance envelope.

So, how about giving him the benefit of the doubt and celebrating their first foray into tandeming instead of making a whole lot of assumptions about he and his wife's needs and expectations and encouraging them to NOT ride the tandem that they are both apparently enjoying the heck out of. I don't find fault with your bike recommendations... as there are a lot of great entry level tandems on the market. However, if a hot-looking, bright red cruiser tandem trips a couple's trigger and gets them out riding together... woo hoo, that's great!

Just some food for thought.

To hellbetty... That's a rad-looking ride. Enjoy the heck out of it and, if you and your wife decide you might want something a bit more swift, ya'll let us know what you're looking for.

Last edited by TandemGeek; 01-15-08 at 02:46 PM.