Old 01-19-08, 07:35 PM
Athanasius
Sausage with wheels

Bikes: '07 Marin Belvedere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Benge - the ride went well. I started up in Shoreline, went down through Ballard, over the Locks, up the hill and through Magnolia, down the Pier 81(?) bike path and then along the waterfront before going over the West Seattle.

At first I wondered if I was going to be able to do it because the weather downright sucked. I was trying out my new bib shorts (comfy, but could use some more padding) and I now know I need to buy some leg warmers (!), but the rain didn't pick up too much and by the time I got to Magnolia it was mostly dry.

Alaskan Way was totally fine, lots of big trucks - but they were moving slow and were good about giving plenty of room.

The toughest part of the ride was going around West Seattle to Alki. The headwind was strong and my manly parts were telling me that they were totally done with the ride.

This was by far the longest ride I've ever done at roughly 23 miles (don't laugh folks) and I was pleased that aside from the backside/tackle issues, I felt like I could have probably made the loop back to Shoreline and lived (barely). I plan to do a ride to Olympia in the next 2 months and I am working my way up to it. I've just got to find something to do about the discomfort.

I'd actually be interested in the Chilly Hilly and would see it as a good goal. However, I've got a couple of things already scheduled for the 24th - so it just won't work out. I will probably go do something around Bainbridge in March/April.

Thanks for the link to the Seattle Bicycle Touring Club. Lots of good information there, and tons of ride ideas! I love all the options for rolling & flat routes around the Sound. I'm definitely going to do their Oak Harbor - Victoria ride with my wife.

I am hoping that I can work up to a Seattle-San Francisco ride within the next year. However, that means time off and buying a Touring rig (the 520 looks like my perfect bike). We'll see what happens.

Wow, sorry for the long post.