View Single Post
Old 01-20-08, 03:04 PM
StrangeWill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by why2not
Do you drive a large truck with convex mirrors? I'm in them every day & anyone paying attention can see someone on a bike pull up alongside their stopped vehicle. The other intresting thing about them is as objects approach, they get bigger. So if she were sitting only a few feet away, she'd be pretty apparent.

Now if she were sitting in front of the mirror, but blocked by his cab, she'd be invisible. If he has conves mirrors, then I suspect that he wasn't paying his curbside mirror much attention as she rode up & didn't see her pulling up alongside & in front of the mirror. I don't think that there is anything illegal in not watching your curbside mirrors as you're sitting at a red light.
They are great and SHOULD be used. I'm just saying that depending on distance and curvature of the convex mirror, that distance causes detail drop off rapidly, and that a convex mirror may have not been an auto-fix to the problem, especially in the case as you pointed out, where she could not only be in front of, but below most convex mirrors on the nose of trucks (which I generally have to reach up if I wanted to touch them on most newer model trucks it seems).