Old 09-01-04, 08:55 PM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by operator
Is there a point we'll get to before people start strapping car headlights with lead acid setups to their bikes? Some of this stuff looks just a wee bit overkill unless you're driving in total darkness or something.
Well, I've thought about it...

From what I've read, the newest, most highly-praised (and marketed) bike lights sold today are comparable to car headlights in intensity and cost in the $500 range. Many people have them.

The most I sport on my bike is a special 20W light that is comparable in brightness to a 35W, 8-degree narrow spot (sent to me by an unusually kind friend, free of charge.) Car headlights are 55W each, for a total of 110W, aren't they?

In the winter, I ride in total darkness for the first leg of my commute. In addition, I find a bright light makes me noticable to motorists in the rain, under bridges, in the shade, or when lost amidst a sea of other bright lights.

Finally: can you see the road in total darkness while cruising at 20 mph?

Try this test: park your bike by your mailbox at night with the headlight on, then walk 220 feet away. Can you see that light easily? Good, because a motorist approaching you at 35 mph. will pass by you 3 seconds later.

Now, try this test. Park your bike on a busy street where there are lots of cars, street lights, neon lights, distractions, etc. Get a friend to drive the opposite direction, with the radio/cd playing, maybe a little conversation. Ask your friend if he/she ever saw your bike, without telling them to look for it.

Finally, can you see the road in front of you while cruising at 20 mph. in total darkness?

Last edited by LittleBigMan; 09-01-04 at 09:03 PM.