Old 01-24-08, 11:37 AM
commuterBOBbie
avoiding my car

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bicure
I just don't see the kind of cycling described above.
I see it all the time. Among solo (presumably transportation) cyclists, I see ten times more sidewalk, wrong-way, weaving in and out of parking spaces, on and off sidewalks, hugging the curb, riding 6 inches from parked cars, than I do proper, same-direction, safe-lane-position riding. I see red-light and stop-sign running WAY more than compliance - and often with a complete disregard for their own safety. Frankly, it's a wonder that statistics are not higher.

Even among so-called experienced riders, I see dumb decisions. Riding all the way to intersections in bike lanes where a high percentage of traffic turns right. Riding the edge line in an 11 foot lane. I've seen whole pace lines riding the gutter pan seam in a median-separated 11 foot lane, because they couldn't bear to have a car behind them for two blocks!

Last fall there were 4 crashes between experienced riders and motorists. all 4 were the fault of the motorist. But all 4 could have been avoided by the cyclist using better lane position, situational awareness or crash avoidance skills. I do not excuse the motorists who violated their right-of-way. And I do not blame the victim. But I look at the details of those crashes and think, if I could convince my community that cyclists have so much more control over their own safety than they think, I might help them prevent smashed bikes and broken hips.

The victim attitude you present helps no one. Step off it and look at the whole picture.

Is the cycling community better served by acting like whiny victims oppressed by the car culture, or by empowering ourselves to operate effectively within that culture?

I suspect the car culture will be shifting significantly due to forces much stronger than us. We should just work on ourselves.