View Single Post
Old 04-04-02, 01:59 PM
bikerider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Funko
I've decided to upgrade my brakes, and I now have a few questions that I would like to be answered. I am wondering wheter or not the Grimeca type brakes are an opened or closed system. Which brakes are better? The SRAM 9.0 Hydraulic Disc's (which has ONE review on mtbreview.com, which I find odd), or the Shimano XT Hydraulics?
Grimeca manufactures both the Shimano XT and the SRAM Hydraulic discs, though I understand that there are some slight differences.

Im looking to buy a set of disc brakes online, but I'm not sure which store would have the best deal. Would I be better off with a set of Hopes or Hayes? I am considering putting a hydraulic brake on the front with an Avid's mech brake on the rear. Would this be ok, or would it just look ridiculously sad?
You really need to try them out and form your own opinion. Some people run front disc/rear V-brakes and it works fine. If you do get different brakes front and rear, just make sure you put the more powerful brake on the front.

I've heard of modulation--is this better than the on/off type of brakes?
Again, personal preference.

I am using a Zoke fork as well--if i buy a pair of Hayes, do I need an adapter? If so, which one should I get?
You should expect the shop to know which adapter you need given your fork and the brakes you choose. Whether they will get it right is another matter.