View Single Post
Old 01-26-08, 06:55 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
My personal experiences have brought me to one conclusion and yours have brought you to another.
Which is why personal anecdotes are so useless in this kind of discussion.

Your reasoning sounds like someone saying " I once survived a car wreck, without buckling up, with no injury so I see no need for seat belts or air bags."
Well, except that the evidence for seat belts is crystal clear. The evidence for helmets is not, kind of like the evidence for side-curtain airbags. So your analogy would be more correct if was something like "I've survived dozens of car wrecks without ever hitting my head on a side window or door sill, so don't think you're an idiot just because you drive a car without side-curtain airbags".

To have survived " dozens of falls" without hitting your head makes me think that you are one very lucky person.
Yeah, me and about a zillion other bike racers who rode and raced without helmets. To read the stuff on this thread, you'd think that prior to 1985, riding a bike was practically suicide. And yet people who raced back then will almost certainly note that there seemed to be far fewer serious injuries back then then there are now.

Or perhaps you have hit your head but don't remember it because of the head injury.
A thousand miles per year, eh? Two point seven miles per day. My bike commute to first grade was longer than that. And even then I was able to avoid hitting my head when I fell off.

Guess some folks just learn more slowly than others.

Last edited by Six jours; 01-26-08 at 07:04 PM.