View Single Post
Old 01-28-08, 04:49 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HillMut
A short background; I'm 23, working full-time, living w/ my parents , and currently not going to school.

I'm seriously considering taking a year or two off from working to train, race, and travel(with the bike). I have enough money saved up from mooching off my parents for the last year to fund this excursion.
My question for you older 'masters' is: Is this something you wish you had done when you were younger and had less responsibility or is it wiser to finish up school, get a real job and take 'vacations' and not waste two years taking time off.
Well, I believe I qualify as a Master and I say don't be afraid to go for it if it is something down deep you wish to do. My brother-in-law did something like this after graduating college back in the 1980s. Took several months to ride across the country and back. It is an experience that he will have with him forever, and, it got him into team Triathlons, where he was part of a top amateur team in the country.

As for the "practical" job, waste, years off stuff, I would not sweat that at all. Most people/employers are impressed with people who take on adventure -- and many will see it this way, as well as gutsy -- and get deep and passionately into something. Although, I have not done exactly what you are proposing, I have done like things and I turned out fine "professionally," got a PhD at a prestigious school (which is where I got into cycling and joined the team/club), became a professor, got tenure, etc. I say follow the passion and get into it. The lessons you learn when pursuing one passion carry over into other things.

Now, if you do not do it now, that is fine too, There are professions out there where you can go on sabbaticals and study things deeply like the "implications of intense cycling and road racing on" (fill in the blank) :-)

By the way, I do not see my wishes or thoughts about my past as relevant here. What matters is what you want to do and what you feel deep in your heart. As a practical matter -- because your parents or others may raise this -- 1-2 years of getting deeply into a passion (notice that I do not call it "taking time off") is unlikely to hurt you in the future; it will likely enhance your life!!

And, take notes so you can write a book about it or tell your kids about it...or, simply blog about it...should be good reading.

Even with conviction, it still may feel scary to do; that's normal.