View Single Post
Old 01-29-08, 04:43 PM
The Smokester

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paul L.
Ok, just because I am a cheapskate (although admittedly, it is because I REALLY need to be one right now) and can't spring for $100 for a hotel room on the 600k (which I am riding solo a week before as I am helping out on the real deal), is it possible to pack an ultralight sleeping bag and a few sections of zrest along to sleep on halfway through? I am mulling this one over at present. I figure the bag and pad would not add more than 2 - 3 pounds to the overall weight and would also be a good safety net in case of colder than expected temps if one had to stop. I am curious if anyone thinks this would be feasible. I think with a rear rack it wouldn't be hard to do and a tarp tent could be added if a threat of bad weather was around. Much of the land on the brevet is public land so bivouacking near the road is not too naughty and as long as one scouts for ant hills and snake holes it shouldn't be a problem. So, what do ya think?
Yes. This is very feasible. I use a down mummy bag with waterproof/breathable outer material. Plus, something like the lightest thermarest or foam pad is bulk is not a concern. I use the thermarest. If you think is is going to rain augment this with a bivy sack. This should all weigh in at less than 3 pounds total. A small headlamp is worth the extra few onces.