View Single Post
Old 01-31-08, 11:43 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
All great advice, Thomas!

Originally Posted by Scummer
On the groupset I think it really depends on what you want to spend and how serious you want to get with the biking.
I believe all groupsets work just fine for the leasure/amateur racer and really only a pro needs a higher end (shimano dura ace/sram red/campy record).
BUT there certainly is a difference in shifter/shifting feel when it comes to the different quality of the groupsets and if you have the money and you do like quality/high end parts on your bike, I'd say there is nothing wrong with a higher end groupset. Hell, I sport a Shimano Dura Ace/Ultegra mix on my Trek bike myself and I love the smoothness of the shifting, but I can ride my '93 steely with a 15 year old 105 groupset almost as fast as my new Trek... almost . The shifting is definitely a world of a difference, but so are 15 years in between the groupsets. But for a century or longer distance ride it really wouldn't make a difference since shifting is down to a minimum on such distances. In a crit race on the other hand where you continually adjust your cadence to match your strategy/attack/draft etc it is much more critical on how well your groupset works. I certainly would not race my old bike with downtube shifters in a crit or a road race.

Also wheels:
The wheel weight is only important for fast/explosive acceleration and doesn't matter so much in long distance rides. Again light wheels are good for crits/road races and mountain climbing.

And I ride my Trek during events and crits, but I used my steely last year for commuting to work (30 miles on way). For ultra long distances I would take my steely, because I have the beefier wheels on that one (36 spokes front and rear) since durability matters when you go beyond 200 miles in one sitting.

But that's just my opinion

Thomas

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant