Old 01-31-08, 04:34 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by nitropowered
Except if you are on the limit of the saddle rails (I mean physical limit, not the stupid "stop" markings on the rails)
Actually those stop marks aren't really so stupid. I used to ride with a saddle as far back as it could physically go on a rear set seat post in an effort to get it back far enough and I ended up breaking the saddle rails. Modern lightweight saddles just aren't strong enough for such abuse and they need to be positioned within limits in order to distribute the weight better.

That also raises the other point. With a 75º seat tube angle it is quite possible to not be able to position the saddle far enough back, even WITH a rear set seatpost to achieve KOPS. With a 75º seat tube angle + rear set seatpost + saddle ALL the way back I could only achieve 50 mm of saddle set back which isn't much at all. I think that I read that TT bikes (or was it road bikes?) need to have at LEAST 50 mm of saddle setback to be legal. I needed about 70 mm of setback to get to KOPS which has me at an effective seat tube angle of 69º to achieve.

Regards, Anthony