View Single Post
Old 01-31-08, 06:06 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver

The 7500 is not a bad bike, but others might be better buys. Remember most bike paths, and esp. Multipurpose paths are too dangerous for adult bike riding. They are designed for child bike riding.
This statement could not be any less truthful for the bike paths in my neck of the woods. You can cruise along all day on them at 18-20 if you wish. On average you will encounter another trail user about once per mile. On a busy day, it will be 2-3 per mile. Over every 100 miles, you might pass 2-3 people walking their dogs.

One of our 50+ forum members lives in northern Illinois and regularly drives up to Brodhead, Wisconsin to ride the Sugar River Trail. It's 23 miles to New Glarus, thus a 46 mile round trip. He averages around 18-19 mph over the round trip.

As to the Trek 7500, it's a nice bike at a fair price. It had moved into my #1 slot after many test rides of other bikes about 18 months ago, but then I found a good condition 7600 used and got it instead. It is very good as a multi-purpose bike for both paved and graveled surfaces. Faster than a comfort bike, like the Trek Navigator, but slower than a fitness hybrid or road bike, due to the more upright riding position.

Whether it is the right bike for you, I knoweth not. But if you think that a standard hybrid meets your needs well, then it is a good option.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post