Old 01-31-08, 11:35 PM
curveship
wavylines

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waterrockets
I look at the zones. Neuromuscular power is most evident at the 5s duration. It would be pure max, but measurement of max is iffy with the PowerTap at least. 1m power is anaerobic capacity, and for me, this is more defining of my performance in a sprint.

When I think about what it takes for me to get around someone's wheel, my 5s power is a big player there -- even if I'm tired. To get to that point, I need anaerobic capacity for all the **** that went down to get to that point.
Best comment by a long shot!

In Enthalpic's "put up or shut up" vein, here's a screenshot of the last minute and change of a late season crit, where I won the pack sprint (2nd overall, late attack stayed away -- this is the PUR Tour Men's Cat 3, for any Ohio residents).

- 1 minute out there was a little kicker of a hill that reshuffled the pack. 700+ watts for about 20 seconds to stay on the wheel I wanted.
- 25 seconds out he attacks (I thought he would go early, which was why I wanted his wheel!) I hit a little under 1k watts to hold his wheel.
- last 5 seconds jump him and bike throw, 1k+ watts

In training, I can do 1450w 5seconds, but I've never hit over about 1250 in a race. In this particular race, a big deciding factor was that the first part was very negative and slow, so the last 20 minutes was pretty intense. I had an NP of 350w for the last 20 minutes.