Old 02-01-08, 09:51 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Having lived in the south of France and active in an association of bike clubs ; I can't think of one accident or death of a cyclist in over the two years we have lived here. The laws are very simple. Motorists are petrified of hitting a cyclist. The laws says simply, you can't pass a cyclist in the country with less than a 1 1/2 meter clearance. In the city 1.0 meter. You pass a cyclist with less you are breaking the law. That pretty much means, anything happens to a cyclist, you are guilty. Can't say if a prosecutor would prosecute, because I can think of one example of cyclists being hurt by a motorist. We live in an area of about 1/2 million people within 30 miles of us. /
Not to say French motorists are not impatient. They are fast. if they think there is a window to overtake someone, no matter how close the call; they will . In probably 12,000 miles of cycling, just this month I had my first incident with a motorist. That motorist speeded up in order to overtake me and then made a right. I barely stopped in time or else I would have been over his trunk.
The difference. They will act that way to anyone whether they be a motorcycle, pedestarian, cyclist-whatever. They don't pick on cyclists. But, if you think French motorists fast, go next door to Spain.