View Single Post
Old 02-01-08, 01:36 PM
curiousincident
end of biters

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ If you run out of options, you can run brakes on NMSW rims with minimal issues. The paint will rub off, you might get some squeaking, and some people might say that you'll get a little less braking power. I'd stick with Velocity rims over the Wienmann knock-offs. They seem to be decent if you're really in a pinch on cash, but the quality is noticeably lower - in particular, I hear they have really ugly seams. I don't think there is any reason to buy any hub of lesser quality than Formulas. I don't know anything about those Joytech hubs, but Formulas are pretty much sure to not let you down.

Originally Posted by mihlbach
I think you are right, however Aeroplane's response gives the impression that unequal spokes is a bad idea, when in fact it is a good idea.
This is true. I would like to point out one thing though - one par with Sheldon's thinking on the subject, if somebody is considering a 32/32 spoke count, they should go 28/36 instead of just dropping spokes from the front wheel. The idea is to put the strength where it's really needed, not cut it out of the equation all together.

This is all pretty nit-picky though. My thinking is that it's almost always better to over-build unless you're a serious racer. Besides, there are other things that are going to play a bigger factor here, such as how well the wheel is built. It's probably a good thing the OP is going for deep v's, their deep profile can kind of make up for a little bit of error in all of these build issues.

Last edited by curiousincident; 02-01-08 at 01:41 PM.