Old 02-01-08, 02:57 PM
TRUMPHENT
Dave

Bikes: Nashbar X-Cross 29r wheels front disc brake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2007 saw the demise of first commuter bike, a Pacific Bikes Schwinn mtb. Worst bike wheels in the world. They have this deep channel that affords the inner tube no support. I had to fill the space with some sort of automotive neoprene tubing as a super heavy duty rimtape alternative. I solved that problem in early 2006.

My commute has to be one of the most bizarre challenges of all. The entire length of roads are littered with glass, to include the mup that parallels the BusWay South. I ride north in the South bound lane until a bus approaches and then, move over to the path. I put a Schwalbe Marathon on the rear and the flat rate went down. I finally went with a set of Mr Tuffy liners and the flat rate decreased again, this time to about once a month. My tires have attracted the most spectacular objects the roads around here offer. Staples, bolts, big hurricane anchoring screws.

The big hurricane anchoring screw finally dealt the death blow to the Marathon. It punched through the tire, kevlar belt, Mr Tuffy, both sides of the innertube and finally stopped, impaled on my extra heavy neoprene tubing rim tape. I almost needed a wrench to unscrew the thing from the tire. The hole was so large that air pressure bulged the tube, Mr Tuffy and tire so that it bumped when it hit the ground. I saw the yellow donut of kevlar death at the point of entry.

New bike late May. 29'r rims Nashbar Cyclocross frame and Pasela TG 35mm tires.

My second or third day out, ride home at dusk and front tire decides to attack unkown, unseen thing in path. This was an exciting moment in my cycling history. The mtb as bad as it was, never lost air in a tire like this. In less than a second, the front tire is really flat and I am still trying to slow down avoid damaging the Mup with an uncontrolled landing.

Mr Tuffy set is ordered for new wheel size upon returning home. I had used my one C02 cartridge for my new inflator on nearly the inaugural ride of new bike, wheels and tires. The rear tire now starts to plot against me. Upon installing the Mr Tuffies, riding home the first night, it finds the perfect needle sharp piece of metal and hurls itself upon it with vengeance.

Bottomline, lots of flats. 22 mile roundtrip everyday, never take bus or drive to work. When I ride, I am never late to work, the commuter's first imperative.

Kevlar helps some, Mr Tuffy liners help a little more. Riding home at night increases the probability of not seeing the death spike. Entering intersections, day or night, will keep my eyes off the road surface.

A couple of weeks ago, Sunday morning, at dawn I saw a trio of hot air balloons pass directly over heading north. I decide to give chase just for grins. Big mistake. Front tire with kevlar belt and Mr Tuffy still does not stop evil from entering the holy vessel of pneumatic premises.

2007, too many to count. 2008, off to good start of 3 I can recall so far.