View Single Post
Old 02-02-08, 11:51 AM
crhilton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CdCf
I guess that goes for every piece of equipment then, eh? Maybe no brakes at all, no lights, no reflectors? No, I really would like to see a front disc brake as a legal requirement for regular bikes. Bikes taking part in bike races would be exempt.
States which require brakes have vague requirements, usually just outlining performance. And the way they outline it isn't even very good. But thankfully they never specify a technology!
Mandating disc brakes now would be akin to mandating rim brakes at the turn of the last century (and yes, it was a big battle over whether or not bikes should have them). Had those brakes been mandated you wouldn't see disc brakes now: Because it'd be illegal to put them on a bike since they're not rim brakes.

While I can't tell you what the next big braking thing will be, I can tell you there will be another big braking thing. And it might not legally be disc brakes. Since law is notorious for being unable to keep up with technology why mandate a technology?! You'll do more to hold technology back than save anyones suicidal butt.

Some places don't require lights, and reflector requirements are a joke: THEY DON'T WORK. That's why light requirements are as common as they are. Equipment requirements suck.

Anyway, my rim brakes will lock both wheels. I have never had a problem stopping quick enough on my 23's with caliper rim brakes.
I wouldn't mind seeing a regulating body do something about low end bikes with brakes that just aren't very effective. The minimal thing would probably be to keep a list of bikes with ineffective brakes so LBS can skip buying those models.
I get tired of reading low end reviews that list the only con as "it doesn't stop."