View Single Post
Old 02-02-08, 04:46 PM
crhilton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WaltPoutine
I'm sorry. That's way too simplistic. Yes there are people doing lots of crash-test modelling and also simulations. The results of many of these studies show that rotational injuries from helmets are serious and that helmets do little to mitigate the most serious injuries. Given your ready dismissal of empirical evidence with no serious attempt to justify your stance I'll point you Google with the keywords: "biomechanical impact head injury helmet". You might like the 2005 IUTAM symposium on the subject and also be interested in the Bicycle Helmet Research Foundation commentary from 2007 http://cyclehelmets.org/mf.html?1182

Given that you've stated that you're just going to believe what you believe without much prior knowledge I suspect the above will be of little value to you though.
No, you're putting words in my mouth. I admitted that torsion incidents are ugly. I said they're uncommon. A.K.A. unlikely. Is there some reason you see this otherwise? Honestly I don't hear about a lot of head injuries anyway, usually I hear about other bodily injuries. Head injuries seem to generally end up in reports of dead cyclists.

I probably also mentioned that bicycle helmets aren't for the worst injuries they're for the most minor head injuries. The 10-12mph solo crashes.

PS - Your argument tactic is called ad hominem: I must be wrong because I appear to be hypocritical and uneducated. Please do something a bit more productive in the future. Like posting your own reasoning instead of a history of helmets.