Old 02-02-08, 05:19 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JRA
Because it's redundant to prohibit things that are already prohibited. I know it goes against VC-ist dogma but, as a general rule, lane-sharing is prohibited in all 50 states (with a few, explicitly stated, exceptions, such as two bicycles in the same lane)-- even in California where the CHP has said that it doesn't care what the law is, it isn't going to enforce a ban on lane-sharing unless it feels like it.

I hate to burst your bubble, but the VC-ist dogma that says that lane sharing is "vehicular" is a gigantic load of cow chips- the "WOLs are better than bike lanes" crowd notwithstanding.
If it were true that "lane-sharing is prohibited in all 50 states ", California, the UVC and most states would not have laws that refer to lane sharing. But they do. For example:

For purposes of this section, a "substandard width lane" is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21202.htm

The obvious implication is that a lane that is wider than a "substandard width lane" is wide enough" for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane." And legally.

A bicycle and a vehicle traveling side by side within the lane is lane-sharing, by definition, given the way I defined it the way I did in the OP:

Originally Posted by Helmet Head
  • Lane-sharing: Traveling fully within a lane, but alongside another vehicle in that same lane.
Now, if you want to define lane-sharing some other way, and say that is illegal, fine. But then you need to tell us how you are defining lane-sharing.

Last edited by Helmet Head; 02-02-08 at 05:52 PM.