Old 02-02-08, 05:59 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
Ok, your definition of lane straddling means nothing to me, at best its redundant, its what you do when you split lanes/filtering.
It's redundant because you don't recognize lane-splitting that is accomplished without straddling two lanes, it seems.

Consider an 11 foot lane adjacent to a 16 foot lane, with traffic stopped in both lanes near the right side of their respective lanes. That leaves a wide enough space to the left of the right line of cars, but to the right of the stripe dividing the two lanes, for motorcyclists and cyclists to use to filter forward. That would be lane-splitting without lane-straddling.

Originally Posted by San Rensho
Lane splitting/filtering, which is passing cars by going between two lines of cars, regardless of its legality, is something I will do in very slow traffic, but realizing that it does carry a relative amount of risk over just taking the lane and flowing with traffic, I do it very cautiously.

Your definition of lane sharing is extremely dangerous and I avoid it at all costs. Its an invitation to get right hooked or left hooked by a car. Whenever a car comes right next to me, I take immediate evasive action to either get in front of or behind the car.
One example of lane-sharing, as I defined it, is what is required by law whenever a driver of a slow moving vehicle, a right-turning driver, is required to operate "as close as practicable to the right", or when a bicyclist is required to ride "as close as practicable to the right" that is wide enough" in an outside lane that is wide enough "for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane."

Last edited by Helmet Head; 02-02-08 at 06:16 PM.