Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
No, your definition of lane sharing is:

Lane-sharing: Traveling fully within a lane, but alongside another vehicle in that same lane. The other vehicle may be lane-sharing or lane-straddling.

And my point is riding alongside another vehicle is always one of the most dangerous things you can do on a bike.
Oh! I absolutely agree and realize now your point. Yes, if you're lane-sharing while moving at the same speed as the other, that's dangerous. I was taking that for granted and only thinking about lane-sharing when one is moving faster than the other and in the process of overtaking. After all, this was all written in the context of lane-splitting which is usually done when the cars are stopped. But whether they're moving at the same speed or not, it's still lane-sharing.

Anyway, I'll try to clean up the OP a bit on this point. Thanks.

Edit: This lead to the following change in the OP:

02/02/08 Changed lane-sharing definition from:
  • Lane-sharing: Traveling fully within a lane, but alongside another vehicle in that same lane. The other vehicle may be lane-sharing or lane-straddling.
to:
  • Lane-sharing: Traveling fully within a lane, but far enough over to one side or another to leave room for another vehicle to travel alongside in that same lane. When another vehicle is present alongside it may be lane-sharing or lane-straddling, and may be moving faster, slower or at the same speed (traveling alongside another vehicle moving at the same speed is generally considered dangerous, whether it's the same or an adjacent lane).
Better?

Last edited by Helmet Head; 02-02-08 at 09:54 PM.