View Single Post
Old 02-03-08, 01:29 AM
coldfeet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You won't get anywhere shouting............................ Add to this the fact that the rear brake provides 20% of the deceleration capacity of the bike.
Apologies for the shouting, it was the end of a long day and I may have had a little bit too much to drink.

I use both brakes as a matter of habit, sometimes I use the rear only as it is too risky to use the front. Those times are when grip levels are far too low to permit front braking because all the front's grip is going into steering. In such situations as a matter of practicality if not physics, the rear gives more than 20% of the potential maximum.

In straight line stopping, when there is enough grip, the front can generate all the *********** that is possible. The fact that the rear cannot lift itself is beside the point. It can generate enough weight transfer to unweight itself and slide. The front cannot unweight itself, it can transfer weight to itself, and in doing so provide greater grip. The idea of a stoppie seems to be providing a red herring here, I brought it up to try to demonstrate the fact that it is possible to stop at maximum possible rates of deceleration without the rear brake. It is my contention that the amount of weight transfered from the rear wheel is in direct relationship to the rate of ***********. Therefore, the fact that the rear wheel is off the ground demonstrates that it is not providing any *********** in maximum effort stops.

I have never suggested that anyone stop using the rear brake, i don't even say you should always use the front brake, my point has always been that Graywolf's original assertation that not using the rear brake is giving up a portion of your maximum possible braking, and your defense of it that is wrong. Using both brakes under most circumstances is the way to go, it does not mean that under good conditions that the last 20% can only be provided by the rear.

Visualize the force diagram described in Supcom's post. It describes the limitation as being when the force vector intersects the front contact patch.
"A. The force vector exerted by the center of gravity of the bike plus rider to intersect the contact patch of the front wheel."
A stoppie is basically keeping that force arrow pointed through that contact patch, keeping everything balanced at maximum ***********.