View Single Post
Old 02-03-08, 10:34 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
Maybe I'm just cheap but $25 (minimum) every few years (based on manufacturers recommendations) to protect against the small chance that I might fall off my bike and might get a small bump on my head, just doesn't seem worth it to me. If I did consider the chances worth the cost, I'd get a lot more use out of it when working underneath cars where I bump my head often.
Originally Posted by crhilton
Swing a rubber mallet at your hand at 10mph. Then tell me you do that to your head on your job.
Originally Posted by joejack951
I don't hit my head at my job (actually working on cars is just a hobby, I'm a design engineer full-time) and I certainly don't hit my head riding down the road on my bike. Come to think of it, I've travelled almost 20,000 miles by bike over the past 4 years and I've never hit my head while riding. I've hit my head several times getting in and out of one of my hobby cars though, and I did suffer a minor concussion after hitting my head in a car accident as a teenager.
Originally Posted by crhilton
When did I state the chances? I don't remember doing such a thing. I was simply trying to point out that bumping your head while wrenching is not similar to bumping your head while falling!
Above is the history of our discussion. I mentioned bumping my head often while working on cars to which you replied with your statement about swinging a mallet at my head and then asked if I do that on my job. I'll admit to being slightly confused by that statement. The only thing I could make of it was that you were implying that a rubber mallet swung at 10mph was similar to falling off a bike and hitting your head (something that wouldn't happen at my job which I assumed you assumed was working on cars). By making this statement in the context of a discussion about bike helmets, I assumed you were implying that hitting my head while cycling is more common than while doing other things, like my job. I replied by stating how I've hit my head often doing things that no one is suggesting a helmet for but have never hit my head while doing something that many are avidly advocating helmet use for, and in some areas making it against the law to not wear a helmet.

If my analysis of your comments is wrong anywhere in the above paragraph, I'd appreciate you pointing out to me where I went wrong so that we can make some sense of our conversation. Thanks