View Single Post
Old 09-08-04, 07:46 AM
Zeeko Jr.
Roadie & commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That a bike is a vehicle does NOT automatically exclude one from riding on a sidewalk. In my state, MI, riding on a sidewalk is an option for a biker --unless the rider is 12(14?) or under, in which case they are REQUIRED to keep to sidewalks. And there are requirements that come with riding sidewalks, such as having to inform pedestrians of your approach, and yielding to them. Our poorly-written law also mandates audible devices (horns, bells). For some reason, our own voices are not sufficient.

Road-side paths --so-called "bike paths"-- are also optional for of-age riders, unless use is required by local ordinance, and the path is specifically designated for bicycle use. This is another common area of misunderstanding. Many believe that if a path is present it must be used by cyclists. Wrong.

And, for what it's worth, even some of our local (county) law officers don't know what our states vehicle code allows cyclists to do. One "dippity" recently told me that the law requires me to stay to the right-edge of the roadway, and therefore I am NOT allowed to use the left-turn lane I was standing in at the time. Yet, our county force even has its own bike-mounted squad! ...I wonder what those bike-officers know about the code.