Old 04-06-02, 11:08 AM
velocipedio
human

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Teramo, 2000 Marinoni Leggero, 2001 Kona Major Jake (with Campy Centaur), 1997 Specialized S-Works M2, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well... for $925, I'd say you're probably getting a pretty average deal on the R-600. The frame is made in taiwan, and probably in the same factory that makes aluminum frames for Specialized, Giant and Trek. Judging from your description, RonH's pictures and eyeballing the pictures on the Raleigh USA and Trek Web sites, the bike seems to have the exact same geometry and build as the Trek 2200/2300. In fact, considering that I'm almost certain the Treks and Raleighs [and Specialized and Giants and... well, you get the picture], I wouldn't be surprised if the frame was the same as the Trek's.

It sounds weird, I know, but a whole lot of road bikes in the mid-level price range are essentially the same bike with different paint jobs. If you get a chance to see the Raleigh and the Trek side-by-side, see if you can spot the differences.

The wheels seem to be well thought of [click here for some reviews on RBR]. As a rule, I don't like those funny-spoke designs too much and I honestly don't know anyone with that particular set, but I've never heard anything really BAD about them. From what I can tell, they're just Shimano's groovier-looking equivalent to the Mavic CXP-21s that you find on almost every other bike in the price range.

Which brings me to price... If I'm not mistaken, the R-600 actually LISTED for about $925 last year. That means the dealer isn't cutting you any slack on the price, even though it's a previous model-year, surplus inventory bike. This bike is paid-for, and the dealer is probably motivated to sell it, so you likely have room to move on the price. His cost was probably about $650 -- $700 with the labour to build. That means he's still making $225 margin. It's not a lot, but you could probably get him to drop the price to $900 and give you a carbon fork in the bargain.

Just a thought.

The Irregular Cycling Club of Montreal
Cycling irregularly since 2002