View Single Post
Old 02-08-08, 11:13 AM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is Genec saying it's too dangerous? As for cycling in traffic being reasonably safe, well it certainly becomes debatable when risk assessment is upto the individual now isn't it? Just the chance that one could be killed by an inattentive driver while riding to work is enough in our safety heightened/paranoid times. Or, in Toronto's case the typical spring killing of cyclists' by dump trucks passing/right hooking cyclists.

It only takes a couple of those stories on the 6 O'clock news to ruin the expansion of cycling in our city for the year. Maybe, just maybe if the "wanting to cycle" folks saw active action on trying to make sure motorists were being targeted in an education blitz/PSA's/billboards etc regarding the roads and all it's users', they mightn't be so afraid. Perception is reality in the general public's eye.

I wouldn't go so far as to say reasonably safe, seems like a broad term, when death is potentially right behind you putting on makeup in the rear view mirror. If I go down in the lane, there is a good chance I'm going to get run over. Now it might be a vary rare occurrence where I would go down but it doesn't negate the danger. The danger is ALWAYS there. Weither or not the horrible happens is upto many factors, not just how the rider rides. The rider is just one component of a system.

Last edited by TRaffic Jammer; 02-08-08 at 11:20 AM.