View Single Post
Old 02-08-08, 05:50 PM
Thisisit
No dice

Bikes: Univega Arrowpace Fixed Gear Conversion, 2007 Specialized Allez Triple, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in a medium sized city for the region I suppose, 130,000 people. I don't know the total km of bike lanes, but there aren't a lot of them. Residential, business and small highways/expressway kind of dealies. Notoriously a bad area for dealing with drivers while in the city, while the surrounding country side (Thorold, Niagara Falls, Pelham) are mostly farm/winery roads and drivers are pretty courteous.

I don't have a job, but I will consider school instead. My route includes residential(30km/h), I think it's considered a highway(75km/h), and "other"(45km/h). The commute also includes climbing and descending a nice section of the Niagara Escarpment, which is a pretty considerable hill compared the the rest of flat southern Ontario.

I commute everyday to university via fixed gear(16.6 km roundtrip), and when it's not winter I log a lot of kilometers on my road bike. I enjoy not depending on cars, the exercise factor of road biking, and the straight up fun I get from riding my fixed gear along a nice bike path that runs along a canal. I really enjoy all aspects of riding, and in the next year or two, hopefully add a nice mountain bike and a more touring capable road bike to my collection. If I get out this weekend and can put in one or two decent rides I will be close to 500km for 2008.
EDIT: I'd also like to say I follow the rules of the road, am all about helmets and use lights whenever necessary. The best way to convince others to join in the cause is to remain courteous and follow the rules!