View Single Post
Old 02-08-08, 09:39 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I spent a few days in Seville one year ago on a trip to Spain. My wife and I quite liked it. Have they finished putting in the streetcar/trolley line yet?

As an inhabitant of Seville who has presumably seen other parts of Spain, do you find the Spanish ride bikes very much? We were in Barcelona, Valencia, Madrid, Toledo, Cordoba, Seville, Granada, Alicante and Girona from mid-January to mid-February last year, and we saw a grand total of three people on bicycles in all our time there. Do people in Spain not ride much in the winter? Thing is, the weather was in the low twenties for our first week there, though it then dropped to the single digits for much of the rest of our trip (even got to below freezing at night in Madrid).

I was told before we went that the real cycling hotbed is the Basque country, and that outside of that region Spaniards are fairly indifferent to cycling, either in terms of the pros or just for personal recreation and/or transportation. As far as it goes, this characterization seemed to conform to our experience there. What would you say? Was it just a fluke that we barely saw anyone on bikes?

Correction: We saw two teams training on, get this...the motorway between Toledo and Madrid. The motorway!

Last edited by rousseau; 02-08-08 at 09:55 PM.