Old 02-10-08, 04:58 PM
BurghBiker

Bikes: Fuji Touring for commuting; Jamis Ventura for fun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
In California, a posted speed limit below the observed and documented actual 85th percentile is unenforceable. This means that the fastest 16% of all motorists determine the speed limit postings for everyone. Add another 5mph for enforcement leniency -- no one ever gets a ticket for going 28 or 29 in a 25mph zone.

I assume that, since you seem to be a sensible fellow, you don't care what speed the motorists do as long as they give you the proper distances/clearances and right of way when passing, turning and pulling out from side roads.
You're correct. Ideally, I would like to see people respect the law but I know it's not going to happen. However, there are alot of things that could be done on roadways to help the situation. One is to not solely design roadways for the fastest drivers. Roadways can be geometrically adapted so that it is uncomfortable to drive at speeds higher than that intended. In some situations such as freeways, it makes sense to have high speeds (and wider shoulders). In others, such as urban arterials it makes little sense. Just lowering speed limits isn't the answer, because as it has been mentioned, it doesn't work. The answer needs to be more comprehensive and needs to consider the systemic problems.