Old 02-15-08, 12:00 AM
cpf_carrot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Was this a brand new from the bike shop bike when you got it?

Sticky freehub prawls would be a very uncommon problem on a relatively new bike. Besides, sticky freehub prawls usually stick the other way. The pedals turn or the chain goes slack when you try to coast. Has that ever happened to you?
Yes, it was brand new. I have never had the pedals turn or the chain go slack, however.

Originally Posted by sknhqy
Is it cold out? My Raleigh does that when it gets below freezing. The lube in the freehub/cassette gets hard and it does just what you are describing. I'm fixin' to get around to cleaning and relubing it with a lighter lube.
It is in fact cold out. However this problem was somewhat intermittent even before the winter rolled around so I assume the cold weather only made the problem worse. Is it possible that the lube used in my bike, which was purchased in California, was intended only for warm weather usage?

Originally Posted by Vissthew
Does this happen when you shift?

I've had a similar sensation before, but what happened to me was that my bike only half-shifted, so the chain was between gears and making a griding noise; little to no resistance in the pedals.

Next time this happens to you, glance back and see if the cassette is moving or not. That will answer your question. If the cassette is moving too, something is definitely wrong with it. If the chain is skipping over it, you've got a couple different things to check.
I have not tried shifting while this occurs, and when it occurs I am not shifting. I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the cassette was moving when I pedaled.