View Single Post
Old 02-15-08, 06:25 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
1) You are ageist
2) It's not about what questions to ask. It's about word of mouth and how a certain wheelbuilders wheels have held up over time. Someone that has built wheels for messengers, racers, touring riders are a good candidate.

Oh wait nevermind, i'm just a callow youth. Disregard. Feel free to waste your LBS's time on pointless questions in a pointless quest to determine whether or not a specific wheelbuilder is good.
I agree with the recommendations for Vecchio's and Peter White not on having ridden their wheels, but just based on what I've read here and elsewhere, and on talking to them. Both had similar prices for me (well, White was higher), and both were extremely straightforward about what they would do and would not. Both asked me very relevant questions about me, how I ride, what I ride, and my intended usage. Both were very willing to discuss my questions about design and component choices, but not willing to do just anything I thought would be the optimum. Both have very stand-up warrantees.

However, a lifetime warrantee is not real useful if I have to ship a wheel or set 800 miles for truing or checking, and have my favorite bike down for a month.

I started looking for local people, and found two good candidates who behaved essentially as well as PC and PW and had the same guarantee. One local shop insisted on selling everyone straight guage spokes, which for me makes no sense at all, and hugely overcharging to support my request for butted spokes. They were out. Most other local shops wanted to sell me factory wheelsets at a lot more $$ than Peter White's handbuilt wheels.

I selected a local shop in town v. one 40 miles away due to convenience, and discovered a great new high-end LBS in the process. Got the wheels, but I haven't ridden them yet since I'm still building the bike.

By the way, this builder is about 24, has just finished his engineering degree, has an excellent understanding of wheel engineering, is now the service manager for this up and coming new shop, had his first child, is committed to remaining in cycling, loves wheels, and has constructed a test rig for measuring wheel stiffness. I found a good one, and if anyone in the Midwest wants to check it out, phone Great Lakes Cycles in Ann Arbor, MI, to speak to Steve. Or pm me.

The builder 40 miles away had different but sound ideas, huge depth of experience and is my age, but the distance factor was a key issue.

My recommendation: talk to the "experts" to see how the good guys do it, then see how that compares to local people available to you. You might be surprised and discover some fresh, original thinking.

Road Fan