View Single Post
Old 02-15-08, 12:53 PM
Keith99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mambwe
I do realize that Lance might not be the most dominating or the best cyclist ever. I also never said he was. His season was based around one race; the Tdf. His competition also put an emphasis on this race. Lance didn't race in the one-day classics or Tour of Italy/Spain. He rode to win the Tour. He wasn't alone in this strategy. While he wasn't the only one using this strategy; he was the only one to win 7 consecutive Tdf.

Lance wouldn't have gone for two jerseys on the tour. He always maintained it was not his style. He always shared the wealth a la Pantani with the exception of Kloden. There is only one jersey that matters at the end of the race.

While I realize there was a lot he didn't do in terms of other races. I still say he is far better than the rest of the cyclists in his day. He also did it clean. Unlike most of the others.
Would that be the same Pantani who won Both GC and KOM in hte Giro in 98 and also the TDF that year?

Actaully Lances focus on one race was fairly unique, at least in degree. Lance was in a unique situation. His sponsers cared about the U.S. market and for that the TDF is pretty much all that matters.