Old 02-16-08, 02:04 PM
j0e_bik3
"this is not suck"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wordbiker
You can buy a clamp that will adapt a braze-on FD.

Just get the diameter of the tube and buy the right clamp.

If you're just asking if it is possible, then yes, it is.
If you're asking whether most shops would perform the work, no.

I know I wouldn't for a customer due to liability issues, but I might on my own bike.
he's right,..to "braze-on" anything on a CF frame would require first finding or fabricating the derailleur hanger mount, then stripping the clearcoat and epoxy "gel coat" on most of that tube, and then re-laminating CF matting with the hanger in place, then vacuum bagging and heat cycle curing to set the carbon/epoxy composite.
plus it'll look lumpy because you added CF matting to the surface of the tube, and had to laminate it in, so your tube will have a big bulge in it where the mount is.

at best it works killer, at worst the entire tube has a catastophic failure, and theres really no way to know without doing it.

the clamp on hangers work fine, and I think you can get trick looking CNC milled ones for not that much $$$. OBVIOUSLY get the size correct, and do not over tighten or you could crunch that tube.

if you pay me ridiculous amounts of money and name several children after me, I'll make you a custom carbon fiber derailleur clamp on hanger.

(I work as a plastics fabricator)