Tex_Arcana
Lone Star

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mplee
Tex--
i'm in a somewhat similar position. i'm 50 also and have given up on the road racing idea for long distances. a good bike is key, of course, but also is attitude. i get the impression you're looking for a few folks to ride with and in my experience that is not what brevets are about. the brevets i've been on all start in a cluster but pretty quickly riders get sorted out. although i may ride for a while with a few riders or even just one sooner or later we'll separate.

when i first got interested in randonneuring i went through the same stages as you. i did the research and eventually found a club. i thought i would enjoy the fellowship and advice of fellow riders but they are a club in name only. i only see these guys at the brevet events and there is no other contact in between. a good deal of LD riding is being by yourself so you might as well get used to it. my advice is to just get out there and start putting on miles and enjoy the solitude.

good luck and enjoy.

** mp **
I already understand most of your points. This all started because I had the idea to get a new bike for my 50th and ride a century on my birthday. It was going to be a solo trip. Researching for a "safe" (it's a relative thing, I know) century route outside the Houston city limits (basically ride someplace I haven't been) I started googling. It's a no brainer that I would see randonnuering sites listed. I started reading them. I do understand that while folks may ride together for a bit not everyone has the same goals, and, abilities. I think I would suck at hill climbing and wouldn't expect anyone to hang back with me while I struggle up a hill, nor wait for me at the top when I'm done.

No, the reason I'm attracted to randonneuring is that I enjoy challenging myself. I take longer routes on my commute weather permitting always attempting to beat my best time. It feels good to accomplish something to stretch out my limits and better myself. Joining a club and participating in an organized sport just adds to the fun. Getting a little "official" recognition in the form of completed brevet cards and medals adds a little more to it. Tell you the truth I don't think my wife even believes me when I tell her where I've been riding. That would be proof of a sorts I've been getting my aerobics on my bike.