Old 02-18-08, 07:26 AM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
I am guilty of putting too much money into unworthy bikes a number of times.

However, is this really a good idea? In my opinion, a main reason why so many bikes lurk unused in the back of garages is that the bike is sooo heavy and clunky that it is just a chore to ride. Only a 13 year old with unlimited energy could ride a EF Schwinn and not grow discouraged. I highly, highly recommend that you go find yourself any other junky old bike and go from there.

With this bike, there are two possible outcomes:

-If he does take to riding again, he will want to replace this one asap. You will be stuck with a $250 bike that no one would pay more than $15 for.

-If this tank kills his desire to ride, you will have it again lurking in the garage. You will be stuck with a $250 bike that no one would pay more than $15 for.

I am not a bike snob. I ride hunks of garbage that "real" cyclists would not have ridden 20 years ago, to say nothing of what they would ride today. In fact, I derive some satisfaction from being an outcast in the bike world (except in the friendly confines of C&V). But, there are practical limits to this attitude. A bike which gets in the way of riding enjoyment is one limit. A bike which has a number of proprietary parts and therefore is not readily modified is another.

My grouchy advice is that you go find yourself a yellow LeTour (or some such) and start there. Move the reflectors over to the new bike if you want a nostaligic connection to the past.

jim