Old 02-19-08, 05:26 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by andrelam
Here in the Buffalo are I see all sorts of people in the various bike stores. The store I bought my bike is the largest in town and now has three large stores. The staff is helpful, but due to the size it feels a bit "corporate." More recently I found an other bike store closer to home. It is smaller, and the work area is right in the middle of the store so the "guys" doing the maintenance are also the sales personel. I find that this store comes accross as friendlier. The staff is knowledgeable and happy to assist. Both stores cater largely to the family crowd and want to see bikes to moms, dads, and their kids. The smaller store tops out at around $2500 for the most expensive bike, the other store will stock higher end bikes in the $3000 to $5000 range. There are supposed to be stores in the area that are run by former racers and carry the higher end bikes exclusively. I won't bother going into high-end stores as I am dedicated commuter, not a racer wannabe. I would not have the money to spend on the $$$ bikes so I won't waste their time.

For some of the basic cycling supplies I've had good luck with Dicks Sporting Goods. The price for the Park Tools chain clearer I bought there was just about identical to on-line cost, as was the price of the Synlube. The other bike stores wanted at least $5 more for the same part. If the price is close I'll buy at the friendly LBS. I also like Dicks for my riding shirts. I get what ever nice breathable T shirts are on sale for around $20.

Happy riding,
André
I know at least one shop that stocks all kinds of bikes between $350 and $3000 or so, if you really want a more expensive model, he will log onto the suppliers dealer website and special order one for you. He will get it delivered by noon Thursday, and have it assembled and ready to ride by Saturday morning. They hate to keep high end models on the floor, unless they specialize in only high end bikes (I am talking bike that retail for more then $3000 here), it's likely to sit on the floor a long time, that's money (or worse credit) that's not moving.

Typically if you walk into an LBS looking for a high end model, you already know what you want, and it's a simple thing to just order it.

Your in Buffalo, which is only a couple of hours drive from Toronto, the Toronto International Bike Show is March 7-9, and often the Toronto dealers have lots of stuff on sale, I want to go, just need to convince my financial advisor that a $100 budget for the show would be a prudent move. Things like jerseys and shorts for half price (or less), the companies often show the high end stuff, so if you want to see a $10,000 5lb bike madeof pure unobtainium, it's the place to go.