View Single Post
Old 02-20-08, 08:49 AM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
First, surely an XO counts as C&V doesn't it? I suppose it is not that old, but in every respect it is much more like the bikes of 30 years ago then it is like bikes of today. Lugs, threaded headset, no carbon, non V-brake, no carbon fiber anywhere, and classic geometry.

I gather that the BOB purists draw the line of desirability between the XO2 and XO3. Not that they are not worthy bikes, in my opinion. I think the main difference is that the lower XOs had 700c wheels, and so they are more like a modern hybrid. The higher XOs had 26" wheels and so were really odd ducks with their roadish frames and small wheels.

I think they all had level toptubes.

If the components are original, I would think you could expect them to be a shade better than what one would typically find on a lower-end bike of that vintage. Top mount shifters, for instance, are nice.

I am not sure about the 700c XOs, but I think there should be plenty of room for big tires and fenders.

jim