View Single Post
Old 02-21-08, 07:50 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Going back to touch on the issue of Bontrager saddles. A number of people in various BF forums have spoken negatively of their saddles. Not everyone, as I have also read positive reviews. But it seems like there are more negatives than normal.

I've followed up on this by stating at three different large Trek stores, "So, I read on the Internet that many people are dissatisfied with your Bontrager saddles." I do this just to see how they react. Each time they have seemed surprised by this and have said that they hear few complaints about the saddles. That when their customers bring bikes back in for service and tuneups, they almost always still have Bontrager saddles on them. This includes, so they say, the road bikes.

Personally, I don't have an opinion on the issue, as I've only ridden on them during test rides. I've found the hybrid saddles reasonably comfortable, but have disliked the road bike saddles. But I dislike all road bike saddles - hard little pointy instruments of pain that they are.

I do find it interesting that there seems to be two different populations of bike riders that do have disparate opinions. I agree with the Trek people that seeing bikes come back in with the original saddles still on them, and having people speak well of the bike, is a valid argument. But then there are so many people here who hate them.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post