dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wordbiker
Guys, take a chill pill.

The OP as much as stated that the frame was too small.

Call me a scaredy cat, but after many years of "winging it" for structural design as a carpenter, and being a conservative overbuilder...it still bothers me to see more than a 40mm extension on a threadless stem (funny, but it bothers the OP as well). There are many, many ways to achieve the same reach that do not exceed that extension spec, regardless whether the consideration is reach or height. A longer stem or even an extension adapter are both preferable to an extended steerer in my book.
What's the difference between an extension adapter and a stack of spacers. For that matter, a long quill stem and a stack of spacers?

Sure, I might not recommend it for fancy-boy carbon or weight-weenie alloy, but a nice steel or heavy duty alloy steerer can take plenty of abuse.

Our dearly departed Sydney weighed in on this matter with the following quip:

"It depends.Industry recc for CF steerer is 25mm and 35 mm for 1 and 11/8" respectively.Some manufacturere are more generous. With Al or cromo steerer it's whatever the spacer police in your jurisdiction are ok with."
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.

Last edited by dobber; 02-21-08 at 08:29 PM.