Old 02-21-08, 08:42 PM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dobber
What's the difference between an extension adapter and a stack of spacers. For that matter, a long quill stem and a stack of spacers?

Sure, I might not recommend it for fancy-boy carbon or weight-weenie alloy, but a nice steel or heavy duty alloy steerer can take plenty of abuse.

Our dearly departed Sydney weighed in on this matter with the following quip:

"It depends.Industry recc for CF steerer is 25mm and 35 mm for 1 and 11/8" respectively.Some manufacturere are more generous. With Al or cromo steerer it's whatever the spacer police in your jurisdiction are ok with."
I guess I'm the local spacer Sheriff.

Believe me dobber, it's not about looks with me. Sheldon made it painfully apparent that he also didn't care about appearances. For me it's about efficiency. I see a stem with adapters, spacers, and any sort of extra provisional appendages as the long way around the issue, especially if it is all about making a frame that doesn't fit comfortable enough to bear instead of just getting the correct frame and not needing any of it.

If I did have to use them, I'd always rather err on the side of strength over cost savings. Teeth are expensive to fix.