Old 02-22-08, 01:01 PM
WaltPoutine
GNU Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
off the top of my head, I can cite the 2007 Pucher/Rutgers University paper that cites accomodations and social programs key in cyclists 'faring best', the 2007 University of British Columbia/ Teschke study contradicting vehicular cycling and charting preferences among regular commuters that showed strong preference for facilities, and the LAB statistics that shows bike laned roads are safer than roads with bike lanes.

Guess what rated bottom choices for ALL bicyclists, experienced and occasional, in the UBC study? major streets and rural roads without shoulders.

Faring best? yes, when recognized as human powered vehicles with unique operating characteristics and accomodated as such.
You emphasize "regular commuters" but the study actually surveyed people that were categorized as:

regular cyclists == ride at least once a week
frequent cyclists == ride at least once a month
occasional cyclists == ride yearly
potential cyclists

I feel that even defining someone that rides once per week as a "regular commuter" is stretching it a bit. Semantically it's true but I wouldn't value their experience as highly as someone that commutes every day, year round.