Old 02-23-08, 03:30 PM
VeloVeg
Savor the journey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
My wish list (and actual list of completed trips) contains a lot of shorter trips. They would include:

1 - 7 (snipped)
8. I recently read a couple of books about the Nez Pierce which also has now me thinking about a trip tracing their journey from the Nez Pierce homelands (southeast Washington/northeast Oregon) out through Idaho to Yellowstone and up to Montana.

...and many others!

I highly recommend to anyone purchasing an old book called "bicycle Touring in the Western United States;" It's been out of print for years but frequently purchasable on Amazon.com as a used copy. I bought mine for a penny.

It's a great reminder that there are many, many one and two weeks routes out there not covered by the big routes of the Adventure Cycling Association (for those of us w/out time for the longer trips).
Fun thread!

I also have the book, Bicycle Touring in the Western U.S., and it has been especially helpful in plotting routes that are not on the ACA routes. One such section is thru the Flaming Gorge of Wyoming and Dinosaur Nat. Mon. in far western Colorado. The book is still very worthwhile, even though it is dated 1982

BengeBoy mentioned the Nez Perce tribe of Native Americans, which brings me to some of the research for my upcoming summer's tour. Of special interest is the route from Missoula, MT and across Idaho in "Clearwater Country". There's a little-known book entitled "Clearwater Country! The Traveler's Historical and Recreational Guide", covering the history of the region including the Lewis and Clark Expeditions, the Nez Perce, gold rush, outlaw gangs, missionaries, etc. and offers a mile-by-mile guide thru the area. You might find it of interest HERE

Other great tours in North America would have to include:
  • Eastern Canada, Gaspe Peninsula, and the Maritime Provinces.
  • The Western Express Route includes some of the most amazing cycling country anywhere, including the Sierra Mts., the basins and ridges of Nevada, unbelievable Southern Utah and the Rocky Mts. of Colorado.
  • Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine offer some wonderful touring opportunities.
  • The Finger Lakes region of New York state is beautiful bike touring country (also, include Watkins Glen!)
  • Northern Arizona, to include the Prescott Valley, Cottonwood, Sedona, Flagstaff, and Grand Canyon.
  • too many other more obvious routes to mention (they've already been covered by others!)

With all of these afore mentioned touring locations in mind, this is what I have planned for about 3 months this summer: Tour outline, and Tour overview map.

Can't wait!

All the best,