View Single Post
Old 02-23-08, 11:56 PM
dobovedo
simply bikin'

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Roubaix Pro; 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport; 2009 Specialized Rockhopper 29er Comp; 2006 Flyte Arsenal; 2001 Bianchi Reparto Corse Boron XL; 2007 Raleigh One Way; 1986 Raleigh Alyeska Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Welcome! I used to live in St Marys, OH just up the road from you. Used to ride a lot in the St Marys, Celina, Wapakoneta, New Bremen area.

I used to do a nice 38-40 miler around the lake. You should head up and check it out sometime. Flat, windy, but the lake is nice ...)
Howdy in St. Mary's. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I will likely never ride north of my regular Piqua-Minster route again. Ever.

Why, you may ask? Well, last spring I got the brilliant idea that when my new car needed warranty service up at the Ford dealership in Lima, I'd take the bike with me and ride back south to work in Troy. I had a miserable 15mph headwind the entire way and a baked in an unseasonably high mid-May temperature of 87 degrees (record was 92).

Then, two days later when the car was done, since I had no car, I had to ride back up to Lima on an unseasonably cold (low 40s) and miserably rainy day with, yep... 15 mph headwinds.

Two of the most miserable days of riding I have ever done, and I can still hear my response to the service manager when she offered me a loaner.

"I don’t need a loaner, I’m riding back on my bike"

Seriously... the lake and area is nice. I grew up in Fostoria and know all about flat and windy. I head up to do the HHH every year (no, not that one, the other one - Hancock Horizontal Hundred in Findlay).