Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by dobovedo
Howdy in St. Mary's. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I will likely never ride north of my regular Piqua-Minster route again. Ever.

Why, you may ask? Well, last spring I got the brilliant idea that when my new car needed warranty service up at the Ford dealership in Lima, I'd take the bike with me and ride back south to work in Troy. I had a miserable 15mph headwind the entire way and a baked in an unseasonably high mid-May temperature of 87 degrees (record was 92).

Then, two days later when the car was done, since I had no car, I had to ride back up to Lima on an unseasonably cold (low 40s) and miserably rainy day with, yep... 15 mph headwinds.

Two of the most miserable days of riding I have ever done, and I can still hear my response to the service manager when she offered me a loaner.

"I don’t need a loaner, I’m riding back on my bike"

Seriously... the lake and area is nice. I grew up in Fostoria and know all about flat and windy. I head up to do the HHH every year (no, not that one, the other one - Hancock Horizontal Hundred in Findlay).
HAHAHA! I', long gone out of there. Don't take this the wrong way, but that place really sucked. Worst place I ever lived and I have lived in a lot of places.

I hear you on the headwind. That is the only place I seriously had to take the wind into huge consideration when choosing a route. It was windier than even the Chicago area. I think Chicago would be worse, but all of the development slows the wind down.

I was riding just South of the St Marys Wapak line (33A) when I had my worst moment in cycling history. I was headed pure East when I got a 30-40mph head wind - constant. It was all I could do to keep the bike upright and straight. I was peaking in my lowest gear, and honestly just trying to stay on the road. Took forever to even get 5 miles down the road.

*shiver*